Assignment from work : SNAPSHOT - Panning Cars

I shot another SNAPSHOT for work. A SNAPSHOT is a moving slide show of pictures exhibiting one single theme or topic. I was actually shooting a sunset snapshot from the top of some steps to a building when I decided that something with motion would be much more interesting. I decided to try panning for the first time. Panning is when you set your shutter to be open long enough for motion blur and then you follow your subject, keeping it in the same framing until the shutter closes. One problem with panning is that you lose sight of the subject while the shutter is open. My work around this was to simply look over the top of the camera and use the end of the lens as a viewpoint to track the subjects. Using a tripod (not necessary) I was able to follow some cars as they drove by moderately slow. Here are some of my favorites.


4 comments:

Benjamin Oliver Hicks said...

Where's my Mini?

jeremybunner said...

Are these shots taken from the LSU Law Building?

Gretel said...

great shots! what lens, f-stop and shutter speed did you use?
awesome panning - how fast were they going?

Khayyam Khan said...

I was shooting at F6.3-7.1 (changed as the sun went down)
1/20 - 1/5
24-105mm
The cars were going about 15mph as they passed by. Glad you like them, thanks for comment!